Friday 13 January 2012

2nd year at uni- work so far

The dungeon crawler is somewhat on hold for coursework everyone involved needs to get done.
First up my character.




A bit of diversity is good i figured, so here is a break from the standard fantasy characters.

Well in fact university has stepped into my creative click and set a module based on an alternate WW2. So here is my latest diversion, flight sergant Cleopatra Campbell White.

In 1940 the devilish Nazi scientists created a chromosonal biological weapon that killed most of the Male populous, leaving the Women of that generation to fight the Axis of Evil.

Exotically named Cleopatra Campbell White is the daughter of an English Lord and an American mobsters daughter. With the World in peril she takes her Grandpa's Tommy gun, and as one of a few female pilots of that generation takes to a B-52 bomber with her crew to fight the good fight.

I figure the Egyption influence is a result of the tomb raiding that was undertaken by various English lords, such as her father in the 1910's and 20's as well as the artistic and world changing events that they started.


On more familiar ground was my level design, which i thought i could generate assets that could be used for the dungeon crawler project that i'm working on with some other students.





I wanted a basis that I could develop a variety of ideas within. A ruined castle seemed to me to have enough variation in design to create an interesting environment that would allow for multiple levels spread across open areas as well as close quarters. I visited Windsor castle in which I found, from a design point of view, had these features, and would allow me to take a lived in area to base the deathmatch arena in. several small enclosed buildings (butcher, baker, candlestick maker) and a primary eye catching spire in the main arena as a focal point within an inner keep. I further adapted the ideas to create the level using the idea of a small militia using the ruined keep for training or a base.
Beneath the primary arena is a maze of catacombs, similar to Windsor castle which forms the second arena. This has multiple points of entry, and by expanding the idea to a concept of it in a state of ruin, allowed for a large hole to link the arenas.

No comments:

Post a Comment